Italian Sausage and Quinoa Stuffed Peppers
This recipe from Johnsonville gives you a delicious way to eat healthy without the rabbit food. Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with protein and other essential nutrients and goes well with the other veggies in this dish: mushrooms, tomatoes, red onions and bell peppers. Seasoned perfectly with paprika and topped with Parmesan cheese and toasted almonds, this dish is perfect for Johnsonville Italian Sausage—another food that tastes super!
What You Need
- Cook quinoa according to package directions (yield 1 ½ cups).
- Sauté the decased sausage in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Crumble the sausage as it cooks until its nicely browned and no
longer pink, breaking up any of the large pieces (about 7-10 minutes).
- Transfer the cooked sausage to a plate and set aside.
- In the same skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Sauté onion and red bell pepper for 5 minutes or until softened.
- Add tomatoes and mushrooms, sauté for another 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat, then add in parsley, cooked quinoa, paprika, sausage
and Parmesan cheese. Stir to combine, taste and adjust seasonings.
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Stuff bell peppers with sausage mixture, dividing equally and gently packing the mixture down. Arrange upright in prepared baking dish.
- Cover and bake in preheated oven for about 1 hour or until peppers are tender.
- Serve topped with a sprinkling of toasted almonds.