Sausage Stuffed Tomatoes
Johnsonville’s Sausage Stuffed Tomatoes are a go-to choice for crowds of all sizes, from family dinner to block parties! Our lightly-seasoned Classic Style Pork Sausage Meat adds a savoury kick, while still letting the natural tomato, parmesan and garlic flavours in this recipe shine. Serve as an appetizer or side dish at your next gathering and watch them disappear!
What You Need
- If tomatoes don’t sit flat, cut tiny sliver off the bottom to give it a flat base. Cut about 1 cm (1/2 inch) off the top, dig out the core and remove the pulp and seeds, leaving the thick walls intact. Set tomatoes in baking dish and brush with olive oil. Sprinkle each tomato interior with a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Preheat oven to 200*C (400*F).
- In a large skillet, soften the onions in the oil for about 3-4 minutes. Add the sausage and saute while crumbling the sausage to brown and cook through evenly. Add Italian seasoning, salt, pepper, garlic, bread and wine, and cook while stirring until the bread has absorbed the liquid.
- Remove from heat, then stir in the cheese and parsley.
- Spoon the sausage stuffing into the hallowed tomatoes. Fill generously without stuffing tightly. Top each tomato with a generous spoonful of reserved breadcrumb mixture.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden on top and the tomatoes are soft.