Italian Sausage Lollipops
Who says meat isn’t candy? There’s nothing better than the delicious flavour of Johnsonville Hot Italian sausage deep fried in a cornmeal batter to make the perfect party appetizer. Serve with your favourite remoulade sauce or mustard and you’ll please the whole crowd.
What You Need
- Cook sausages according to package directions. Allow to cool slightly and cut each sausage into 4 pieces. sausage completely.
- For Corn Batter: In a medium size bowl, mix all the ingredients for the corn batter, starting with the dry ingredients and ending with the wet ingredients.
- Heat the oil. It should be at least 2 to 3 inches deep to fully submerge the lollipop.
- Once the oil is heated, (to medium heat or about 350°F) place one sausage piece at the end of each skewer. Dip into the batter and coat the sausage completely.
- Carefully submerge the sausage into the hot oil while holding the end of the stick, allow it to fry for about a minute until the batter is a deep golden brown. Continue this process with all the sausages.
- For Remoulade Dipping Sauce: Combine first 11 ingredients (Mayonnaise through Tabasco Sauce) in a food processor and process for 30 seconds.
- With the motor running slowly, add the oil through the feed tube and process until thickened.
- Transfer the sauce to a bowl, cover and refrigerate for at least one hour before serving alongside the sausage lollipops.