Italian Wedding Soup
While this dish may be a beloved soup found in many Italian restaurants, Johnsonville’s Mild Italian Sausages really give this soup the authentic taste it deserves. As you enjoy a delicious soup packed with orzo, celery, carrots and spinach, the tiny meatballs will hit you with a big, bold flavor that can only come from Johnsonville!
What You Need
- Mix meatball ingredients together and roll small meatballs the size of a marble. (If forming the meatball is difficult, cover and refrigerate first.)
- In a medium pan, cook orzo al dente, according to package directions; drain and set aside.
- Prep the vegetables.
- In a large pot, sauté onion, thyme and sage in olive oil. When the onion starts to turn a golden color, add garlic, carrot, celery and cook for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Set the vegetable mixture aside on a plate.
- In the same pot add all the meatballs and cook for 2-3 minutes before stirring (this will keep them from breaking). Gently toss with a rubber spatula to brown on all sides..
- Add reserved vegetables, chicken stock, bay leaf. Simmer gently (do not boil) until vegetables are tender and meatballs are cooked through.
- Add cooked orzo and spinach, stir together. (Adding spinach right before serving will help it maintain its rich green color)
- Garnish soup bowls with Parmesan cheese.