Toasted Brioche, Spinach & Sausage Stuffing
Do you love a Thanksgiving Dinner that mixes uptown ingredients and down-home deliciousness? Then we have the stuffing for you. Chewy chunks of brioche add a hint of sweetness while Johnsonville® Country Style Honey Garlic Flavoured Sausages offer up just the right amount of savoury. It’s so good you might want to double the recipe.
What You Need
1loaf brioche, cut into 1 inch cubes
1 tbspextra-virgin olive oil
4 tbspunsalted butter
1yellow onion, diced
1medium fennel bulb, core removed & coarsly chopped
2 1/2 cupslow sodium chicken broth
2 lbsfrozen spinach, thawed, squeezed & coarsly chopped
1 1/2 tspground black pepper
1 1/2 tspfennel seeds
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Spread brioche cubes on a rimmed baking sheet; toast until golden brown (approx. 15 minutes), tossing once. Let cool completely. This step can also be done 1 day ahead; store bread in airtight container at room temperature.
- Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add de-cased sausage and cook, breaking up into small pieces with wooden spoon. Cook until browned and fully cooked through, approx. 8 – 10 minutes. Place cooked sausage on paper towel lined sheet and let cool.
- Melt 2 tbsp of butter in the same skillet on medium-low heat. Add onion and fennel. Cook, stirring occasionally, until soft, approx 10-12 minutes.
- Grease a shallow baking dish. Whisk eggs in a large bowl; add in broth and whisk. Stir in sausage, the onion-fennel mix, spinach, salt, pepper, and fennel seeds. Add bread and toss until evenly combined and bread has absorbed the liquid. Transfer to baking dish, top with remaining butter.
- Bake until stuffing is hot and the top is golden brown; approx 40 minutes.