Brat & Brussels Sprouts Bowl
Johnsonville Smoked Brats are a perfect match for Brussels sprouts, one of the few crops that flourish in colder weather. This could be served up as a delicious side to a holiday turkey or as a full meal any night of the week. It’s the classic Brussels sprout bowl only elevated – Johnsonville style.
Recipe by Kristy Gardner of sheeats.ca
What You Need
- Prepare the sausages according to package directions.
- While they’re cooking, toss the Brussels sprouts in a bowl with a good serving of olive oil, the cumin, salt and pepper. Be generous. Set aside.
- Once the sausages are cooked through, remove them from the pan and set aside. When they’re cool enough to touch, slice them into 1/2″ rounds.
- In the same pan, add the olive oil and the diced onion. Stirring often, sauté the onion until just starting to caramelize, about 7-8 minutes. Once the onion starts to get nice and brown, add the Brussels sprouts. Stir well, making sure cut sides face down.
- Sauté for 5 minutes or until the cut sides start getting golden. Turn and cook a further 4-5 minutes or until fork tender. Some stray leaves may brown substantially but they’re the best part!
- Once the Brussels sprouts are tender, squeeze the lemon juice over top, toss the cooked brats back into the pan and mix well to heat through. Pour the mixture into a big serving bowl and finish with the grated Parmesan and cranberries.