Egg and Sausage Open-Faced Sandwich
For a gourmet brunch or light lunch, open-faced sandwiches deliver quick chic! Topped with spinach, egg, cheese and our Johnsonville® Mild Italian Sausage Meat, this hearty sandwich will become your new breakfast favourite. After all, why make life complicated when simple recipes are such a pleasure to prepare and serve? The perfect meal before or after a hike in the great outdoors.
What You Need
1 packageJohnsonville® Mild Italian Sausage Meat
4green onions, finally chopped
1.5 cupsfresh spinach
1.5 cupscheddar cheese, grated
4large slices of country-style bread, toasted
- In a large skillet, cook the sausage meat over medium-high heat for 5–6 minutes, stirring from time to time. Add the green onions and spinach, then cook for 1 minute. Remove from pan, discarding excess fat if needed.
- In a bowl, beat the eggs and milk. Season and set aside.
- Combine cheese with cooked sausage meat and spoon over the toasted bread. Transfer to a baking sheet. Set the oven to Broil. Grill the sandwiches until the cheese is melted. Turn off the oven and leave the sandwiches on the bottom rack to keep warm.
- Heat a non-stick skillet over medium-low heat. Melt a little butter and pour in the eggs. Using a spatula or wooden spoon, scramble non-stop for 2 minutes.
- Top sandwiches with the scrambled eggs, season with pepper and serve. If desired, add a fresh tomato salad as a side.