Hearty Split Pea Soup with Country Garlic Sausages
Dishes from Canada’s Acadian region take their cues from a whole host of cooking traditions. This recipe adapts the classic Split Pea Soup, but puts a uniquely Johnsonville spin on it with the addition of mouth-watering garlic sausage.
Recipe by Beth Dunham of Bethdunham.ca
What You Need
- In a large pot over medium heat, cook the sausages in 1 tbsp of oil until they begin to lightly brown, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add the onion, carrots and celery to the pot and continue to cook, stirring constantly, until the vegetables are softened, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add the chicken stock and increase the heat to high until the mixture comes to a boil.
- Add the dried peas and reduce the heat to medium low. Cover and simmer for 45 minutes to an hour, stirring occasionally. The peas will have broken down a bit and thickened the soup.
- Just before serving, stir in the lemon juice and chopped parsley.