Sausage and Wild Rice Stuffing
Stuffing obsessed? It’s okay. So are we. But now’s not the time to go cold turkey on your stuffing habit, because this new Chef Mark McEwan recipe is only going to make you want more. It’s so chock full of sweet-and-salty deliciousness, you’ll be looking for excuses to make it. Like it’s Tuesday, for instance.
What You Need
- Preheat oven to 300°F.
- Boil water, add salt then rice. Reduce heat and cover. Cook approximately 50 – 60 minutes. Should be very tender. Cool.
- Using a baking tray, pre toast the cubes of bread until slightly brown and dry approximately 30-40 minutes.
- Brown the sausage in a pan and remove onto paper towel, drain fat.
- Using the same pan add bacon and cook until slightly crisp, remove onto paper towel, do not drain fat.
- Add onion, celery, garlic to the pan with the bacon fat and sweat until tender (little colour) approximately 5 to 7 minutes.
- Add corn, herbs, bay leaves, sausage, bacon and chicken broth to the pan, simmer for 5 minutes.
- Transfer to a large bowl and toss with rice, bread, apricots and cashews.
- Adjust seasoning and fold out into a medium sized greased casserole dish.
- Top with melted butter.
- Turn oven to 425 F and bake for approximately 40 minutes. Half of the time tightly covered and half uncovered to brown the top.