Spicy Pork Sausage Tacos
The secret to great tacos? Layering the flavours in a winning mix of hot ‘n’ sweet, tender ‘n’ crunchy, hearty meat and fresh vegetables, like this spicy version bursting with the taste of Johnsonville Hot Italian Style Sausage Meat. Topped with your choice of garnishes, it goes from every day to game day in mere minutes.
What You Need
- SAUCE – Place all the ingredients in a food processor or use a hand mixer and blend until smooth.
- Transfer to a small bowl and cover with plastic wrap directly touching the sauce to prevent browning. Reserve in the refrigerator until ready to use.
- PICKLED ONIONS – Heat vinegar, sugar, water and salt in a small saucepan until the sugar dissolves.
- Place the onions in a bowl or glass jar and cover with the warm liquid. Let cool and then refrigerate until ready to use.
- TACOS – Heat a large sauté pan on medium-high heat. Add the sausage meat and use a spoon to break it up as it browns for about 5 minutes.
- Add the onion and red pepper and continue cooking until the onion is translucent.
- Add the garlic, oregano and cumin. Stir for another 3–5 minutes.
- Drain off excess fat and add the chicken broth. Simmer until the liquid is reduced and the meat is nicely browned. Remove from heat and keep warm.
- Cover the tortillas with a damp paper towel and warm in the microwave. To assemble the tacos, garnish with pork, onion and sauce, then add the toppings of your choice and enjoy.