Spicy Sausage Soup
Harvest time is definitely the best time to be a cook. Think of all the great ingredients you get to work with. Here we’ve brought together some of the season’s very best – creamy butternut squash, crispy carrots and sweet corn – and blended them with the sweet heat of Johnsonville Hot Italian Sausage Meat. Yum.
Recipe by Shel Zolkewich of ShelZolkewich.com
What You Need
- Preheat oven to 350F
- To roast the butternut squash, cut it in half lengthwise and scoop out the seeds. Brush the cut side generously with canola oil and place cut side down on cookie sheet. Bake for 20 minutes. Cool slightly, peel and cut into 1-inch chunks.
- Add 1 tbsp of the canola oil to a large soup pot over medium-high heat. Add sausage meat and cook, stirring occasionally, until nice and brown, about 8 minutes.
- Add the butter, onions, celery, carrots, garlic, salt and pepper. Cook on medium heat until onions are translucent, stirring frequently, about 10 minutes.
- Add the remaining ingredients, including the squash. Bring everything to a boil and then simmer for 1 to 1 ½ hours, or until the beans are tender.
- Ladle into bowls and serve with a generous dollop of sour cream.