Italian Sausage & Green Pea Risotto
In this green pea rice dish, known as risi e bisi in its native city of Venice, we replace the classic diced prosciutto with our succulent, spicy Italian sausage. The creaminess of the sauce, which goes a long way to explain risotto’s global popularity, is due to iconic arborio rice and its high starch content. Buon appetito!
What You Need
- Preheat oven to broil. Place sausages on the rack of a broiler pan. Roast in oven 16 to 20 minutes, turning over from time to time until golden on all sides.
- Meanwhile, in saucepan, warm oil over medium heat. Cook onion for 5 minutes or until translucent. Add in rice and cook 1 more minute, mixing to coat well. Pour in wine and reduce until almost dry.
- Add warm chicken broth to rice, one ladle at a time, and cook while stirring often. Add next ladle only once broth has been fully absorbed. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Total cooking time should take 20 minutes or so to produce a rice that’s al dente.
- Meanwhile, combine frozen peas and 1/4 cup water in a large measuring cup. Microwave for 1 minute or until peas are tender. Drain well and stir into risotto along with parmesan.
- Pour risotto in 4 shallow dishes and garnish with sausages sliced diagonally. Sprinkle with parmesan shavings to taste before serving.