Sausage & Buttery Mushroom Rice
There’s no better way to celebrate real Canadian cooking than by using wild rice. A native plant that’s found throughout Alberta, wild rice has an earthy, slightly nutty taste that makes it a welcome change from regular sides. Best of all, you can pair this surprisingly simple dish with just about anything.
Recipe by Karlynn Johnston of TheKitchenMagpie.com
What You Need
- Preheat your oven to 350F.
- Grease a 2-quart casserole dish and set aside. It should have a lid.
- Melt the butter in a large skillet and fry the onions and mushrooms until they’re nice and soft, approximately 10 minutes. Remove from the heat.
- Add the sausage and uncooked rice to the sautéed vegetables and stir well until they’re combined. Place the mixture into in the prepared casserole dish.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the soup and broth until smooth and then pour over the top of the rice mixture.
- Cover and bake for approximately 60-90 minutes, until the rice softens and the soup has been absorbed. Remove and serve piping hot.