Sausage Stuffed Butternut Squash
This Thanksgiving, you and your family will be thank-full for butternut squash! Our Sausage Stuffed Butternut Squash recipe takes classic stuffing ingredients like our Original Bratwurst Sausage, french bread, onion, garlic and bell peppers, and combines them with the subtly sweet tones of squash. Together they create a holiday side that will soon become a holiday staple.
What You Need
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Cut squash in half and remove the seeds. Lightly season the insides with olive oil, salt and pepper to preference. Place the squash halves flesh side down on a baking sheet and add approximately 1/2 cup of water to pan. Cover the tray securely with aluminum foil and bake for approximately 1 hour, or until tender. Once tender, hollow out centre of squash and add to large mixing bowl. Set aside the hollowed squash halves and let cool completely.
- In a large pan, cook the sausage for approximately 7-8 minutes, or until brown. Remove sausage from pan and drain on paper towels.
- Add remaining olive oil (approximately 2 tbsps) to pan and heat on medium high. Add onion and bell pepper and saute for 3-4 minutes, or until soft. Add garlic and cook for another 1-2 minutes.
- Add sausage, vegetables, bread cubes, chicken stock, half the cheese, parsley and sage into the large mixing bowl with squash centre from step 1. Add egg and mix well. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Fill baked squash halves with stuffing mixture and top with remaining cheese. Return stuffed squash to baking sheet and place in over for 25 minutes, or until heated through and cheese melts. Serve immediately.